Dear Jill, Ray Anne, and All Other ARLIS List Members,

This is a subject very near and dear to my heart...and desk.  I
would be happy to organize and moderate a session on Costume
Research at the LA ARLIS next year.  My area of concentration as a
librarian and visual resources professional is costume studies.  I
have just published a book on costume conservation, restoration, and
documentation (the research for this was sponsored in part by ARLIS)
and am ready to move into my next project - examining research
methods and tools used for costume and textiles studies.

Now, before I can go any further, has there been a call for papers
yet?  I don't remember coming across anything on the list.  Also,
who else out there is interested in this topic?

Thanks,

Miranda Howard Haddock
Visual Resources Librarian
Western Michigan University

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/06/00 03:37PM >>>
----------------------------Original
message----------------------------
Sounds like a GREAT idea, Jill.  I would take it one step further.
Have a
session on researching the "look/style" of historical periods.
This includes
costume, interior decor, architecture, furniture, etc.  I have done
a library
guide on that for the bibliographic instruction sessions the
Theater Dept
faculty ask me to do once a year.  Many theater designers don't
know how to do
this sort of research -- at least when they are grad students!
They can learn
from us and we can learn from them!  It would be a wonderful thing
to offer us
in LA/Hollywood!  What better place to find experts, other than
NYC?  Ray Anne
Lockard

message----------------------------
> Purely as an attendee I am putting forth a request for a program
in hopes
> that someone involved with this area may have already planned a
session or
> needs this final push to create one.  Is there a chance of having
a session
> on film costuming--research and methods??  Can anyone invite film
costumers
> or researchers or someone from a costume house (Western
Costume??)---what