It was like a fresnel lens - a light polarizing filter with a little card
which had a double picture on it. I remember the exact spot in the exact
luncheonette I was sitting in when my father gave me the scientific
explanation of my crackerjack prize over fifty years ago - but the picture
I looked at, and,  alas, the word for the optical effect slips my mind!!!
It's what printers have to watch out for when reproducing pictures with
lots of little lines close together like what happens to the one I attached
if you reduce the size.