------------------
The International Dada Archive at the University of Iowa Libraries is
pleased to announce the unveiling of its online catalog, known as the
International Online Bibliography of Dada.  (We had originally planned to
call it simply the =22DADAbase,=22 but our friends in New York beat us to =
it=21)

With some 19,000 titles, the online catalog currently includes about thirty
percent of the titles in our card catalog.  Grant funding will permit us to
continue retrospective conversion at a good pace through the end of June.

This is the culmination of twenty years of bibliographic work at the
International Dada Archive.  We owe a great debt of gratitude to many
colleagues in ARLIS/NA who helped us in the early days of the project.  In
particular we are grateful to colleagues at the Museum of Modern Art in New
York and at the Getty, who allowed us to microfilm documents in their
collections.  And of course there is another important ARLIS connection to
this project.  Long-time members will recall the days when ARLIS was
headquartered here in Iowa City.  At the time when Pamela Parry was
executive secretary of ARLIS (initially a half-time job with no management
firm to provide support=21), she was also bibliographer of the Dada Archive,
and is the person who started the card catalog that has now become the
International Online Bibliography of Dada.

The bibliography is currently a database within the University of Iowa
Libraries=92 NOTIS-based online system, OASIS.  The University Libraries =
will
be migrating to a web-based catalog late this summer, at which point the
IOBD will become considerably more web-friendly.  In the meantime, you can
access the IOBD via a Telnet connection at the following url:

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/cgi/oasis.cgi

Enter your terminal type, hit return to bypass the log-on screen, enter =
=911=22
to get into OASIS, then enter =22cho dada=22 to get into the IOBD.

Below is more detailed information that will appear on our web site
(http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/dada/index.html) as soon as we can update it.

Timothy Shipe,
Curator, International Dada Archive
The University of Iowa Libraries
timothy-shipe=40uiowa.edu

Introduction to the International Online Bibliography of Dada

The International Online Bibliography of Dada is the online catalog of the
International Dada Archive at the University of Iowa Libraries.  The
catalog includes materials in all formats that have been cataloged for the
collection, including books, essays in books, periodical articles,
manuscripts, sound and videorecordings, and other media related to the Dada
movement and to the individual dadaists.  These materials are located
throughout the University of Iowa Libraries, but are primarily housed in
the Main Library and in the Art Library.  Most of the manuscript holdings
are on microfilms that were made in various public and private collections
in Europe and North America in the early 1980s, with funding from the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Jerome Foundation.

In addition to the online catalog, the International Dada Archive has a
card catalog comprising the approximately 47,000 titles that were cataloged
prior to March 1999.  This catalog may be consulted at the Archive=92s =
office
in the Main Library building.  The online catalog includes all materials
cataloged for the Dada Archive since February 1999 as well as a substantial
portion of the materials cataloged prior to that date.  With the assistance
of a University of Iowa Arts and Humanities Initiative grant, as of
February 2000 approximately 30 percent of the titles in the card catalog
have been entered in the Online International Bibliography of Dada.  This
effort will continue until the conversion of the card catalog is complete.

The International Online Bibliography of Dada is currently maintained as a
database within the University of Iowa=92s online system OASIS.  At present,
access is by means of a Telnet connection.  As the University of Iowa
migrates to a new Web-based catalog in the summer of 2000, the
International Online Bibliography of Dada will become available with a Web
interface.

To enter the International Online Bibliography of Dada, click on the link.
When the Telnet window opens, enter your terminal type (almost always V1).
When the sign-on screen appears, simply press =22enter=22=97you do not need =
an ID
or password.  When the next screen appears, type =221=22 to get into the =
OASIS
system.  From the next screen you may type =22cho dada=22 to enter the
International Online Bibliography of Dada.  If you have trouble with the
Telnet connection, please consult your computer support office.  And don=92t
despair=3B this will be much easier when our Web catalog comes up later this
year=21

INTERLIBRARY LOAN

(ARLIS members please note:  the following statement is intended for
members of the public using our web site.  If art librarians have any
questions about interlibrary loan, feel free to contact me directly.
Naturally I will do anything I can to accommodate my ARLIS colleagues --Tim)

The International Dada Archive has no staff to process interlibrary loan
requests.  Once you have identified a book or article of interest in the
database, please use your library=92s interlibrary loan services to obtain
the item if your library does not own a copy.  Your library should treat
the International Dada Archive as a =22lender of last resort.=22  For
interlibrary loan purposes, the International Dada Archive should be
treated as a special collection within the University of Iowa Libraries.
Unpublished manuscript material (identified on the index screens as
=22archiv-mss=22) cannot normally be loaned.