At Washington University Art & Architecture Library, we're faced with a
set of circumstances that have us pondering our mission. These have to
do with limited space, and serving users ranging from art history
doctoral candidates to studio artists to architecture pre-professionals.

We've come up with a preliminary list of related questions. We wonder if
other academic art librarians are facing these, or have already come up
with some answers, and if anyone would be interested in getting together
for an informal discussion in Pittsburgh.

With no space for growth, can we maintain our stance as a graduate
research library?

Can cooperative collection sharing with other institutions play a more
significant role?

Can increased use of digital formats really help? Will publishers
support such a shift?

Should we add ongoing "deselection" as a major element of our collection
development activities, maintaining a constant collection size? How will
we staff this?

Can a single art and architecture library facility and staff meet the
needs of our varied users? Can an existing art and architecture
collection and staff be divided between locations in some logical way
that will be fair to different user groups?

What type of information service do studio art students need? How can we
find out? Can they be served by a broad, traditionally research-oriented
program such as ours?

Can ARLIS/NA play a role in coordinating collection sharing, and working
with publishers to promote digitizing materials?

--  Dana Beth and Deborah Ultan

Dana Beth                          [log in to unmask]
Art & Architecture Librarian       phone: 1-314-935-5218
Washington University, St Louis    fax: 1-314-935-4362