Susan Lentz made a number of good points in her response to Sherman's
original posting.  I apologize for taking so long to respond, but I'd still
like to because I think this discussion raises a broader issue about how we
assign subject headings to classes of persons.  (The following comments are
limited to subject heading concerning art works; they do not pertain to
biographical works, dictionaries, etc., which was part of the issue Sherman
raised in his original posting.)

While we have specific subjects headings for many classes of persons why do
have related headings for the artworks themselves only for some of those
classes?  Examples might make this distinction clearer.  We have related
headings such as Afro-American art as well as Afro-American artists but we
only have the heading Women artists (not Women art, or Female art or
whatever).  This raises the question, is there such a thing as
"Afro-American art" or is there only art produced by "Afro-American
artists?"

If the answer is the latter, then the situation raised by Sherman becomes
clearer.  Yes we do  have exhibitions of works by Women artists or
Afro-American artists with subject headings such as:

Women artists-United States-Exhibitions
Afro-American artists-Exhibitions

But then why do we need a separate heading for Afro-American art at all?

What strikes us as strange about Sherman's original example: Painters-United
States-Exhibitions is that "Painters" is being used when we expect the
heading to be "Painting."  The heading that has been applied in the past is
the one representing the work,  not the artist, namely "Painting, American."
This then leads us to the underlying problem. Specific headings for classes
of persons are assigned only when the class does not consist of white males.
If subject headings were applied according to the current rules, but without
bias we would always have pairs of headings: one expressing the
race/class/gender of the artist and the other expressing the
geographical/national category:

Women artists-France-Exhibitions
Art, French-Exhibitions

Afro-American artists-Exhibitions
Art, American--Exhibitions

While male artists-Italy-Exhibitions
Art, Italian-Exhibitions

The only exception would be when all races and genders are included.  In
that case, and only that case, we would have a single heading such as:

Art, American-Exhibitions.

Daniel Starr
Chief Librarian, Technical Services and Planning
Museum of Modern Art Library
11 W. 53 Street
New York, NY  10019