---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:18:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Susan Lentz <[log in to unmask]>
To: Tara Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: erotic art books in academic libraries

Approximately 3% of our art collection is in our "Cage" under lock and
key.  These items are expensive, fragile or "erotic".  They are retrieved
by the staff at patron's request and used at a table within view of the
circulation desk.  Also our photography books (TR) are shelved within view
of the circ desk.  There is a photocopy machine nearby in the lobby, and
we give
special loans to allow material to check out briefly to the neighboring
building
that has color photocopying or to the main library that has a color
photocopier.
These are our "solutions" to the mutilation problem, but we still find
razored pictures on occasion.
I should say that our "cage" is one end of our library that is closed off
with chicken wire and has a substantial lock.  Keys can be checked out to
graduate students with a real reason to stay in the
"cage" for periods of time and who have a faculty member countersign for
them for quarter-long periods of time, and to faculty members.

Susan Lentz
Arts Library
University of Calif.
Santa Barbara, CA 93106