Dear Sherman and fellow catalogers,
I think you're right about the uneasy pairing of Form heading and
Subdivision.  But I also think that the larger world of exhibitions versus
art exhibitions is a more important distinction.  An exhibition about
doctors wouldn't raise the question, because it would be about their lives
and activities.  An art exhibition however will usually emphasize their
art output perhaps in the context of their lives, that is, the paintings
are being exhibited not the painters.  I'm not sure I'm making myself
clear, but I do feel H1593 is written with the larger world of exhibitions
in mind.  If you look under H1250, there are no examples using Painters or
Artists, etc., so I think art subjects as format not as person producing
the
format is appropriate for use with "exhibitions", "catalogs", etc. for the
preponderance of this material.  (There is always the possibility of an
exhibit with the emphasis on the lives and interaction of the artists
rather than the art produced?)
From a purely practical standpoint, I think having both Painters and
Painting as subject headings would be redundant, rather like going back to
the days of Paintings and Painting.  (Has anyone else been around
long enough to remember that situation?)

Susan Lentz
Arts Library
University of Calif.
Santa Barbara, CA 93106