Concerning the Library of Congress' proposed revisions in cataloging of art
materials and the ARLIS/NA Cataloging Advisory Committee's proposed
response.

About 6 weeks ago Daniel Starr posted a message to the list inviting comment
on the CAC's proposed response to LC's proposed revisions in cataloging of
art materials. Whether we were all in perfect accord with the Committee's
response or the matter got lost in the hustle and bustle of "the holidays",
there wasn't any discussion on the list. I checked the AUTOCAT archives and
there was, I think, one message on the subject. Presumably the CAC's message
was sent on to LC as it appeared in Daniel's posting of 12/7/1999.

All of us in art librarianship (not just catalogers) owe the CAC a debt for
their reasoned, point-by-point consideration of LC's revisions and for its
timely submission to LC before the 1/1/2000 deadline for comment. They argue
for more flexibility in assigning geographic and chronological subject
headings. I wonder whether they'll fall on deaf ears.

A group of catalogers at the institution at which I work talked over the
subject for an hour one morning last week. I'll admit that I had to look up
"syndetic" in a dictionary, and that my review of H1250 jogged my memory on
a few things. Here are some of the things we said:

LC's proposed revisions are very much true to form - promoting economy,
specificity and conformity with general subdivision order. But they stray
from the trend toward natural language in subject headings.

Change in assignment of headings for time period. Agree with LC and CAC that
the assignment of broader headings such as Drawing$y20th century is not
justified when a more specific heading such as Drawing, Cubist is assigned.

The CAC's proposed addition of chronological subdivisions to headings such
as Painting, Baroque$zSpain is a good idea, and we wondered how many other
such headings there are. Any suggestions? Can Art, Abstract$zUnited
States$y21st century be far off?

The more extensive list of free-floating century subdivisions is something
many of us have wanted for years.

We think the fight to retain geographic subdivision with the headings Art,
Ancient and Art, Medieval is an important one because it supports the use of
natural language in subject (and keyword!) searching. (Where's that study of
search strategies when we need it!)  A recent search in the RLIN books file
turned up many LC records for Art, Ancient# with 043 fields as follows:

043     e-it--- 94 clusters
043     e-gr--- 67 clusters
043     aw----- 84 clusters

We even wondered whether the effort to view the Ancient and Medieval
qualifiers as stylistic ones might be extended to Modern. Few catalogers
feel comfortable assigning the term Modern to art of the 17th and 18th
centuries. How about (nudge nudge, wink wink) Painting,
Modern$zFrance$y19th-20th centuries?

Will our catalogs become a confusing mess to our users just when they were
beginning to learn the basic format of LCSH for art? Will we be able to make
any global updates to alleviate the problem?

Workshops for catalogers to adapt to the changes are a very good idea.

Sorry for this somewhat rambling comment on a subject that deserves greater
clarity. Any takers?

Mark Bresnan
Frick Art Reference Library