In preparation for a session at  the Pittsburgh conference, I am trying to
identify some factors related to distance learning and the ARLIS/NA
membership.  If you are at an educational institution and could take a few
minutes to answer the following survey, it would be a great help for me to
get an idea of where we stand.  Even if your institution does not provide
distance learning courses, if you could answer numbers 1, 11 and 12, that
information would also be useful.  Please return surveys to me
([log in to unmask]), not to the list.  Thank you very much.

Tom Riedel, Regis University

Library Support for Distance Learning Survey

1.      Does your institution offer distance learning courses?
                Yes
                No
                (If no, please answer numbers 11 and 12 and return survey.
Thanks!)

2.      In what formats?
                Compressed video
                Televised
                Web-based
                Videotapes sent to student
                Guided independent study
                Classes at off-campus teaching sites
                Other (please list)

3.  Does your institution offer distance learning art or architecture
classes?
                Yes
No

4.      How many years has the institution provided art or architecture
courses to distant learners?

5.  In what ways does your library provide support for distant
learners/faculty?
        Reference assistance
        Library instruction
        Web-based handouts/tutorials
        Toll-free reference phone number
        e-mail reference
        Electronic bulletin board
        Electronic reserves
        Librarian visits to distant teaching sites
        Interlibrary loan
        Electronic interlibrary loan request form
        Document delivery
        Ariel
        Consortial agreement with other library
        Other (please list)

6.      What types of class assignments require distant learners at your
institution to use library resources?
                Scavenger hunts
                Short research papers
                Long research papers
                Don't know
                Other

7.      Do teaching faculty at your institution consult with librarians
about assignments that require distant students to use library resources?
                Yes
                No

8.      How many of your library's subscription databases are available to
remote users?
                0
                1-33%
                34-66%
                67-99%
                100%

9.      How are remote users authenticated?
                Proxy server maintained by library
                Proxy server maintained by parent institution
                Other proxy server
                Authorization/password
                Other (please list)
                N/A

10.     Do you have primary responsibility for library support to distant
students and faculty?
                Yes
                No (If no, who does have primary responsibility?)

11.     Your job title and institution:

12.      Do you work in:
                Academic library
                Art and design school library
                Other (please list)

Please add any comments you would like to make about distance learning at
your institution.  Thank you for participating in this survey!

Tom Riedel
Distance Learning Librarian
Regis University D-20
3333 Regis Blvd